What type of improvements require a permit?

Interior work such as painting, paneling, tiling, replacement fixtures and/or cabinets do not require a permit. Replacing electrical wiring, plumbing, constructing or removing walls does require a permit. Permits are also required for decks, fences, and sheds.

Show All Answers

1. How do I view the status of a permit?
2. What type of improvements require a permit?
3. If I need a permit, who should I contact?
4. Why is a permit necessary?
5. How do I go about obtaining a permit?
6. If I need a permit for certain types of improvements, does that include my basement, or adding a pool?
7. Do I need a certificate of occupancy?
8. Do I need a zoning permit?
9. Do I need to retain an engineer or architect for my home improvements?
10. Where do I find out about setback requirements?
11. What zone is my property in?
12. How can I find out about water and sewer availability?
13. Where do I find out about septic systems?
14. Is my property in a flood plain?
15. How long does the Construction Department keep my permits?
16. How do I schedule a Construction Inspection?
17. How can I contact Township staff by telephone?